Personal U.S. Tax Filing

At McEvoy Lelievre, we know the tax laws on both sides of the border can help maximize your return and manage your filing requirements, both in the U.S. and Canada.

US Taxes E-Filing Cross Border Tax Services

Who needs to file a U.S. Tax Return?

If you are a U.S. citizen residing in Canada or if you are a Canadian owning rental property in the U.S., you must file both a Canadian return and a U.S. return. 

How can McEvoy Lelievre help?

Our team, led by Kristopher McEvoy, CPA, will help you navigate your options in minimizing your liability for both Canada and U.S. taxes – so you're not taxed twice.

U.S. Tax Service Options

  • Preparation of U.S. federal and state income tax returns for you and your family
  • U.S. tax calculations
  • U.S. and Canada treaty benefits
  • Coordination of U.S. and Canadian deductions and credits
  • Assistance with correspondence from the Internal Revenue Service


Our U.S. Tax Filing Services are handled by Kristopher McEvoy, CPA. 


What is the starting point?

If you are a U.S. citizen, or a green card holder, you must file a 1040 form every year if you meet the income threshold requirements. In addition, if you own or are a beneficiary of Canadian mutual funds, TFSAs, RESPs, RRSPs or RPPs  you may be subject to additional U.S. tax reporting .

What is the filing deadline for U.S. Taxes?

If you live outside the U.S. – your U.S. return is due on June 15. However, for your Canadian return, we advise you to follow the Canadian tax return deadline of May 2, because the IRS begins to assess interest on unpaid balances on April 15.

Ask About Potential Claims

Earned Income Exclusion – Form 2555 is a special form excluding foreign earned income from taxation in the United States. 

Foreign Tax Credit or Deductions – One way to avoid double taxation is by claiming a foreign tax credit on your U.S. return for taxes you are required to pay to Canada. 

Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR) – If you are a U.S. citizen and have a financial interest in foreign accounts exceeding $10,000 you must file an FBAR with the Treasury Department. The CRA and the IRS have an open, transparent relationship and failure to report could result in a penalty of up to $10,000. 

Bookkeeping, Accounting & Tax Services You Can Count On.

Give us a call today to see how we can maximize business bookkeeping efficiencies and minimize personal and business tax risk.

Get Started