Canadian Citizens Filing US Taxes | McEvoy Lelievre & Associates | Ontario

IMPORTANT! Personal tax season has arrived – click here for details.

I own a rental property in Florida, do I have to file a U.S. return?

Many of our clients are Canadian citizens who own properly in a U.. state, such as Florida and often don’t know the ins and outs of filing US taxes.

If you own a property in the U.S., you have to report your U.S. rental income both to the U.S. and Canada governments. To do this you will need to apply for an ITIN, and file a U.S. 1040NR return.

In Florida there is no state income tax, but in most other states there are, so you will have a state filing requirement there as well.

The good news is that any U.S. income tax you pay can count as a credit towards your Canadian Income Taxes. The Canadian government will only grant the foreign tax credit, if you have done your U.S. filings, to reduce your U.S. taxes to the extent possible.

Having a tax preparer who is familiar with both the U.S. and Canadian systems is the best choice in order to make sure the filings are properly integrated.

Talk to our in-house US Tax expert, Kris McEvoy, about your personal situation.

Subscribe for Updates

Get articles like this delivered right to your inbox!

Click Here to Subscribe